11/11/08

DAY FORTY EIGHT (BAER TESTING)

What is BAER testing?
BAER stands for Brainstem Auditory Evoked Response. Here is the BAER testing machine showing a normal hearing ear. It is hard to see but if this was a deaf ear the line would be nearly flat. There would be no peaks and valley.For those of you who have never seen this procedure, you will find some pictures below showing a puppy being tested.
What this procedure involved is two electrodes inserted in the head and then a small earphone placed in the ear. The machine makes a number of click in the dogs ear and the machine is able to record the brains response to what the ear hears.


The results of the BAER testing is 13 hearing ears and one deaf ear. Exactly as I predicted. Ameraucana only hears in one ear just like me. Puppies that only hear in one ear are called unis which is short for unilateral. They still make wonderful pets but, in my opinion, should never be bred. Unfortunately many breeders don't share my thoughts on this and continue to breed unilateral hearing Dal. I feel it is irresponsible to breed such a dog.

This was a very long day for the puppies and me. The closest place for me to have these puppies tested is over 3 hours away. That is a very long drive with 7 puppies but they did quite will through the whole ordeal.

No comments: