9/25/08

AFTER A NIGHT'S SLEEP...

Gambit has proven that she is a wonderful Mommy! She keeps them very clean and well fed. The delivery was quite an ordeal to say the least. She had the first one at 6:50AM which was a 16 oz black boy. The second one came at 8:40AM which was a 16 oz liver girl. The third one was a problem child. She was stuck and I was very scared because all that was visable was one tiny foot. I put my finger in to see if I could help in some way. When I realized that I couldn't I called the Vet who said to come in right away. On the way to the car Gambit squatted to pee and literally peed the puppy out. I scooped up the puppy and placenta and ran back in the house with Gambit hot on my trail. We managed to get things back under control. That was at 10:40AM and it was a 14 oz black girl. Puppy number 4 came at 12:03PM and she was a 16 oz black girl with a tiny eye patch. Number 5 was at 1:08PM and he was a 15 oz black boy. Then we waited and Gambit decided she was done. I thought there might be another one in her but wasn't sure. After a very long rest she has some mild contractions at which time I gave her the shot. At 8:10PM she had a 15 oz black ear patch girl. Then imediately after at 8:20PM she had the last one which was a 16 oz black boy. I have, in all my years of breeding, never seen a litter of puppies that were so big at birth. Usually the largest one is 14 oz. Occasionally there will be a puppy that weighes a pound at birth but not 4 out of seven. They are very healthy and strong! I don't know if that is why Gambit had so much trouble getting them out or not but she didn't have strong contractions like she should have had. I, on the other hand, have a very sore stomach because everytime she pushed I found myself pushing right along with her. Am I weird or what?
I hope you enjoy the adventures of this litter. Now what shall we name them????

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to know if you have any puppies ?

Thanks

My e.mail deedee-david@comcast.net